The Zadoc long Free Library was a gift to the people of Buckfield by Secretary of the Navy, John Davis Long, and built as a memorial to his father and mother, Zadoc Long and Julia Temple Davis. In 1900, Josephine Thomes sold to John D. Long for the sum of $1.00, the lot of land that the library sets on today. John D. Long contacted his friend and architect, John Calvin Stevens to design the building, which was completed in 1901. Mr. Long and his relatives liberally supplied the library with books, resulting in a circulation of about 3,000 books, soon after it opened. The Library was dedicated at the "Old Church on the Hill", during Buckfield's Old Home Week on August 17, 1901. The Zadoc Library houses many historical items, such as "The King's Arm" a musket used during the French and Indian War (which has been fired every 4th of July since the news of The Declaration of Independence); A Civil War Drum; and portraits of the Long Family.
The Library was originally opened on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 2 pm to 5 pm and from 7 pm to 9 pm to Buckfield residents, only. In 1964, the library also began serving the towns of Hartford and Sumner. The library is now open 28 hours a week and houses bout 9,000 items (to include books, audio, and video items. We also belong to a consortium through Maine InfoNet Download Library, which offers over 7,000 downloadable books).
Our library offers Interlibrary Loan services free of charge to our patrons and offers programs for both children and adults. We currently have children's story time (July - September, January-March, for ages 3-8 yrs; a book group for adults once a month from September-May; and we provide trainings, such as basic computer skills and using the internet to find a job. We shall continue to offer free trainings throughout the year, dependent upon participation.